Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Booker T. and the MGs' "Summertime"

I’m staying up too late listening to The Best of Booker T. and the MGs.  (Also, I’ve ventured into the territory of the “the best of” albums.)

I just wrote a post about the Zombies’ version of Gershwin’s “Summertime,” which is probably my favorite version, but I also like the version by Booker T. and the MGs.  And I like it because they’ve changed it to the degree that, while it is recognizable, it’s not immediately recognizable.  I was listening to this album (for only the second time) a few months ago, and it took me a minute or so even to realize that this was “Summertime.”

But what I really want to mention is the tone of both the Hammond organ and the guitar.  At one point, the guitar is (or at least sounds like it is) going through a tremolo pedal, and it works so well with the Hammond organ’s going through a Leslie speaker.  Both instruments have that sort of hazy quality, but they’re achieving that effect in different ways.  They’re complementary, but not because they’re treated with the same effect.