Monday, March 10, 2014

Buffalo Springfield's Buffalo Springfield Again

I just listened to Buffalo Springfield’s Buffalo Springfield Again.  What I found interesting was that on some of the tracks, the lead vocalist also sings the harmony parts.  Like on “Expecting to Fly,” Neil Young sings the lead vocal, and he also sings the harmony part.  See also “Broken Arrow” and Stephen Stills’ “Bluebird.”

Having both parts sung by the same person would give the song more coherence, but I’m not sure if that’s why they did it that way.  Judging by the Wikipedia page, it was more likely due to acrimony in the group or Neil Young’s frequent absences, but I’m hesitant to accept Wikipedia so readily and I’m not sure if those would explain all of the cases.  Incidentally, I have a book about Buffalo Springfield that I’d planned on starting soon.  Maybe I’ll find an answer in there.