Every time that I’m doing what I want to,He uses structural parallelism between the two lines, so that the first part of the first sentence (“Every time that I’m doing what I want to”) is similar to the first part of the second sentence (“Whenever I’m doing just as I please”) and the second part of the first sentence (“Somebody comes and tells me it’s wrong”) is similar to the second part of the second sentence (“Somebody cuts me down to my knees”).
Somebody comes and tells me it’s wrong.
Whenever I’m doing just as I please,
Somebody cuts me down to my knees.
Every other year, I listen to all of the music in my collection. Often, I discover new things about music I'm familiar with or learn new things about songs I'm not as familiar with. This is where I'll be documenting that.
Wednesday, June 18, 2014
Jack White's "Entitlement"
I’m currently listening to Jack White’s Lazaretto for the first time. I noticed an interesting poetic/lyrical device he uses in the first verse of “Entitlement”: