Every other year, I listen to all of the music in my collection. Often, I discover new things about music I'm familiar with or learn new things about songs I'm not as familiar with. This is where I'll be documenting that.
Tuesday, April 12, 2016
Vipers Skiffle Group's "If I Had a Hammer"
I just finished listening to the second disc of the two-CD set of the Vipers Skiffle Group that I started yester-day. I noticed some articulations of some lines in "If I Had a Hammer." They're not consistently employed in every verse, but there are some melismas on "all" and "land" in the recurring line "All over this land," musically portraying the inclusiveness. Similarly, the "all" in the line "All over this land" that ends each verse spans an octave (of C notes), which demonstrates the encompassing mentioned in the lyric itself.
Labels:
If I Had a Hammer,
Vipers Skiffle Group