Monday, June 27, 2016

Ivan & Alyosha's It's All Just Pretend

Last night I listened to Ivan & Alyosha's It's All Just Pretend and found a couple Biblical references.

"Bury Me Deep"

Here, there's the line "I'm learning that the sins of the father will trickle down," which I think is just a rephrased version of a phrase in Exodus 20:5-6:  "You shall not bow down to them [carved images] or serve them, for I the LORD your God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers on the children to the third and the fourth generation of those who hate me, but showing steadfast love to thousands of those who love me and keep my commandments."  I don't think the contexts for these two phrases are the same, but the phrases themselves have a certain similarity.

"Drifting Away"

The phrase "the least of these" in the line "I guess that I'm the least of these with my empty cup" comes from Matthew 25.  The whole section (verses 31-46) is too long to quote in full, but either caring or not caring for "the least of these" is an important distinction between the blessed and the cursed.  Again, the contexts are different, but here the phrase matches exactly.