Here's an-other thing I noticed a few days ago but didn't get around to looking into and writing about until now. When I listened to George Harrison's "Just for Today" from his Cloud Nine album, I noticed some ascending and descending parts that seem to emphasize some aspects of the lyrics. There are only two verses; they're just repeated. After the line "Not deal with all life's problems" in the first verse and "Not be my own life's problem" in the second, there's a descending phrase (C, B, A, in octaves, I think). The descent seems to imply the weight of those problems.
The last line in each verse recalls the first line. So the "Just for today" that ends the first verse recalls the opening "Just for today I could try to live through this day only," and the "Just for one night" in the second verse recalls its opening with "If just for one night I could feel not sad and lonely." Those more optimistic views are recalled at the end of the verse with the condensed "Just for today" and "Just for one night," but that optimism is also hinted at by an ascending phrase after those lyrics. I think it's a chromatic phrase from E to G (E, F, F#, G).