Sunday, March 27, 2016

The Moody Blues' Days of Future Passed

This morning I listened to the Moody Blues' Days of Future Passed.  I'd noticed before that some of the orchestral sections quote some musical phrases from the songs that feature just the Moody Blues, but when I listened to the album this morning, I discovered that those orchestral sections also feature some phrases from the vocal parts.

At the very beginning of "Lunch Break: Peak Hour," a brass instrument plays the melody to which "Dawn is a feeling" is sung in "Dawn: Dawn Is a Feeling."

At about 4:28 in "The Afternoon: Forever Afternoon (Tuesday?)/Time To Get Away" the strings play the melody to which "Tuesday afternoon" is sung earlier in the track, and at about 4:48, a woodwind (I think an oboe) plays the melody to which "I'm just beginning to see" is sung earlier in the track.

There might be some other instances of this, where the orchestral sections play phrases that are in the vocal melodies of other phrases, but these were the ones I noticed.