Thursday, September 22, 2016

Unit 4+2's "I Will"

I've been making my way through a box set of Bach works, and this afternoon I listened to some of the partitas for solo violin.  A section in one of the movements (BWV 1006: III.) sounded familiar to me, and - while I had to restart it a couple times - I eventually placed it as a song by Unit 4+2 (although - obviously - the Bach partita is older).  I had to reference a few songs before I found which one specifically though.  It's the introductory guitar figure in "I Will" (after about four measures of drums).

The phrase starts at measure twenty five in Partita No. 3 for Violin in E major, BWV 1006: III. Gavotte en Rondeau:

(notation found here)
(click the image to enlarge it)

"I Will" is in F major where this partita is in E major, and while the quotation isn't exact, it's certainly close enough to recognize.