Every other year, I listen to all of the music in my collection. Often, I discover new things about music I'm familiar with or learn new things about songs I'm not as familiar with. This is where I'll be documenting that.
Saturday, October 29, 2016
The White Stripes' "I Can Learn"
A few days ago, I listened to the White Stripes' White Blood Cells, and I noticed something about a melody in "I Can Learn." Near the end of the song, there are the lines "Falling down / Is no longer around." The "Falling down" is sung to a descending phrase (E B G#), so there's a musical representation of that descent. The end of "Is no longer around" is sung to an ascending phrase (E G A A# B). It's as if descending further is no longer possible (because "Falling down / Is no longer around"), so the melody has to rise at that point.
Labels:
I Can Learn,
The White Stripes,
White Blood Cells