Sunday, July 20, 2014

The Beatles' "Here, There, and Everywhere"

Because I just finished re-reading Robert Rodriguez's Revolver: How the Beatles Reimagined Rock 'n' Roll, I'm listening to Revolver.  I'd noticed the line "but to love her is to need her" in "Here, There, and Everywhere," but it wasn't until listening to it now that I realized the reference behind it.

"To love her is to need her" is an extra step started by the line "to know her is to love her" - the title line of "To Know Her Is to Love Her," which was covered by the Beatles on the BBC (and which appears on the Live at the BBC album).  The song was originally written by Phil Spector as "To Know Him Is To Love Him," apparently inspired by the words on Spector's father's gravestone, which goes well with the "death and isolation" theme that Rodriguez traces through Revolver.

Additionally, the song was recorded by Peter & Gordon as "To Know You Is to Love You."  McCartney also had connections to Peter & Gordon - he dated Peter Asher's sister Jane Asher and wrote a few songs for Peter & Gordon.

---

I also wrote an-other post on "Here, There, and Everywhere," but it wasn't related to listening to it, merely by comments Rodriguez made in the book, so I've not included it here.