Saturday, October 11, 2014

OK Go's "Bye Bye Baby" (demo version)

This morning I listened to OK Go's Twelve Days of OK Go (which you can still get for free here).  I listened to a few of these songs when they were coming out (they were posted one-per-day during late 2012), but about half of them I still hadn't listened to yet.

I noticed something interesting in "Bye Bye Baby" - the demo version.  I should note that I've not heard the actual, "proper" version, so I don't know how/if the demo is different from that version.  (This was the even first time I listened to this version.)  In any case, the demo version contains the lines "So take me to winter / As if it was discontent I’d see," which seems to be a reference to the first lines of Shakespeare's Richard III:  "Now is the winter of our discontent / Made glorious summer by this sun of York" (I.i.1-2).

However, I'm not exactly sure why that Shakespeare reference is there.