Tuesday, October 7, 2014

The Traveling Wilburys' "Handle with Care"

This morning I listened to the Traveling Wilbury's first album, The Traveling Wilburys, Vol. 1.  I think I'd been somewhat aware of the alliteration in the first verse (also the first line) of "Handle with Care" - "Beat, beat up, and battered around."  But there's a lot in the lyrics that I'd missed.

This alliteration is also present in the third verse:
I’ve been fobbed off, and I’ve been fooled
I’ve been robbed and ridiculed
These lines also demonstrate anaphora with the repetition of "I've been" and internal rhyme with "fobbed" and "robbed."

The third line of the final verse is also alliterative: "Oh, the sweet smell of success."

In the first two verses that feature the alliteration, there are also pairs of opposites.  In the first verse, it's in the line "Been sent up, and I’ve been shot down," with the opposites up and down.  And in the third line of the third verse - "In day care centers and night schools" - the opposites are day and night.