This morning, I listened to the Polyphonic Spree's Together We're Heavy.
I haven't listened to the album that much, but I had never noticed the descending melody on "down" in the line "it takes a lot to find yourself way down" in "Section 16: One Man Show." There's even a melisma, breaking "down" into more syllables to emphasize that descending melody.
In "Section 18: Everything Starts at the Seam," there's the line "I think it was the Fourth of July." I'm pretty sure that an-other time I listened to this I recognized that line but I couldn't place it. This time I did. "I think it was the Fourth of July" also appears in Chicago's "Saturday in the Park." I'm not sure if the Polyphonic Spree took it from that Chicago song, but it's not that common a phrase. Plus, both bands bear some resemblance to each other in that they use some uncommon instruments, like flute and brass. So I think it's more likely than not that they took that line from Chicago.