Every other year, I listen to all of the music in my collection. Often, I discover new things about music I'm familiar with or learn new things about songs I'm not as familiar with. This is where I'll be documenting that.
Saturday, May 7, 2016
Emerson, Lake, and Palmer's "Take a Pebble"
Last night I listened to Emerson, Lake, and Palmer's Fanfare: The 1997 World Tour. This included the third version of "Take a Pebble" that I've listened to this year (the others were a live version on Birth of a Band: The Isle of Wight Festival and the studio version on Emerson, Lake, and Palmer), and I noticed something about it that I'd missed when I listened to those other versions (although it's present in them too). I'd realized before that the piano parts after the lines "Just take a pebble" and "And cast it to the sea" sort of mirror those lyrics; the one after "Just take a pebble" ascends, and the one after "And cast it to the sea" descends. Listening to it last night, I realized that - to some degree - the vocal melody for those lines does the same thing. There's a bit of back-tracking in "Just take a pebble" (Eb Bb Bb Ab Bb), but generally, it ascends, as if picking something up, and "And cast it to the sea" has a descending melody (Bb Ab G F Eb C), like throwing something away.
Labels:
Emerson Lake and Palmer,
Take a Pebble