Sunday, May 29, 2016

The Mamas & the Papas' "Words of Love"

I'm currently listening to the first disc of The Mamas & the Papas' Gold album.  I have all of their albums, but I haven't transcribed any of their songs (I've become kind of obsessed with lyric transcription since last time I did this project), so I've been working on those as I listen, and I found something interesting about "Words of Love," from The Mamas & the Papas.

The first line is "Words of love, so soft and tender, won't win a girl's heart anymore," but every other instance of this line is missing the "so."  It becomes just "Words of love, soft and tender, won't win a girl's heart anymore."  In the same way that the adverb goes missing (so words that used to be "so soft and tender" are now only "soft and tender"), the "words of love" themselves aren't as effective as they used to be.