Wednesday, August 24, 2016

Bobby Darin's "Mighty Mighty Man"

Last night I listened to the first disc of a two-CD set of Bobby Darin titled Purely... Bobby Darin.  Last time I did Collection Audit, I postulated that "Mighty Mighty Man" took some lyrical inspiration from "Good Rockin' Tonight."  This time, I noticed that "Mighty Mighty Man" also has the exact same line that starts Little Richard's "Rip It Up."  The second line in the third verse is "It's Saturday night, and I just got paid."  I lookt up the release dates, and chronologically, this influence is possible.  Little Richard's "Rip It Up" is from 1956 (and apparently many other artists recorded it in the following years), and "Mighty Mighty Man" is from 1958.

Because I found that these two lines match more or less exactly (there might be a "well" or an "a-" differentiating them), I'm more confident in what I said in my post from two years ago.  It seems more likely that Darin took some lyrical phrases from "Good Rockin' Tonight" and "Rip It Up" rather than both of these similarities in the lyrics of "Mighty Mighty Man" being just coincidences.