Wednesday, August 17, 2016

Simon & Garfunkel's "A Most Peculiar Man"

From August 11th to the 13th, I listened to Simon & Garfunkel's three-disc Old Friends set (I listened to a disc a day).  Yester-day I was thinking about "A Most Peculiar Man," and I realized something about the melody.  It ascends for the first part of the line "She lived upstairs from him."  The live version on Old Friends is in a different key (D major, although it sounds a bit out-of-tune) from the studio version on Sounds of Silence (Db major), so in the live version, "She lived upstairs" is sung to the phrase E F# G A where it's Eb F Gb Ab in the studio version (those are Paul Simon's parts at least; I think Garfunkel's harmony is a third lower, so C# D E F# in D major and C Db Eb F in Db major).  At first, I assumed that the live version on Old Friends is the same recording from Live from New York City, 1967, but closer listening reveals that they're different recordings, although the Live from New York City, 1967 version is in D major too.  In any case (and in any key), that melody ascends as if to show Mrs. Reardon (the spelling of which I'm guessing on) going up the stairs, while the titular man (the "from him," sung to F notes in Db major or F# notes in D major) remains below.