Every other year, I listen to all of the music in my collection. Often, I discover new things about music I'm familiar with or learn new things about songs I'm not as familiar with. This is where I'll be documenting that.
Sunday, August 14, 2016
Colin Blunstone's "Say You Don't Mind"
A couple days ago I listened to Colin Blunstone's One Year (on vinyl, even), and I noticed some things about "Say You Don't Mind." I knew there are melismas during certain parts of the verses, but I found connections with the lyrics that I hadn't noticed before. The two melismas in question are for "growin'" (E D# C# C#) and "goin'" (E D# C# C# B A, I think) in the lines "I've been doing some growin' / But I'm scared of you goin'." The melisma for "growin'" sort of indicates the breadth of experience or knowledge that the singer/speaker claims he now has, and the melisma for "goin'" portrays the leaving of the titular "you." Both encompass a distance in pitch rather than a single note, which would imply staying the same or staying of a stationary sort, respectively.
Labels:
Colin Blunstone,
One Year,
Say You Don't Mind