Every other year, I listen to all of the music in my collection. Often, I discover new things about music I'm familiar with or learn new things about songs I'm not as familiar with. This is where I'll be documenting that.
Wednesday, August 10, 2016
Buddy Holly's "You Are My One Desire"
This morning I listened to a compilation album of Buddy Holly titled Oh Boy, and I noticed something about "You Are My One Desire." The "love" in the line "You'll never know how much I love you" has a melisma (the notes are B A G). At first I just thought that because there are multiple notes instead of the single syllable with which "love" is pronounced when spoken, there's a musical representation of the greatness of the singer/speaker's love. But then I realized that there's more to it than that. When I was looking at the lyrics I'd transcribed, there was no indication that the "love" in that line has a melisma, and that itself mirrors the lyric. "You'll never know how much I love you" when the words are written, but there's some indication of it (although that might not be an adequate representation either) when those words are sung.
Labels:
Buddy Holly,
You Are My One Desire