Friday, January 8, 2016

Handel: Recorder Sonata in B flat major, HWV 377

Over the last week, I've been listening to a six-CD set of Handel's chamber music that I got for Christmas.  I was surprised to find that I already knew one of the melodies in a Violin Sonata (from a CD my dad often plays in his car), but when I listened to the last disc this evening, I found that same melody again.  So I looked up the notation for both pieces and found that - aside from a handful of measures - they differ only by the key they're in and the instrument they're played on.

To-day I found it in the third movement of Handel's Recorder Sonata in B flat major, HWV 377:

(notation found here)

It was a bit difficult to compare this to the other piece in which I found that melody - the fourth movement of Handel's Violin Sonata in A major, HWV 361 - not only because I'm not that good at reading notation but also because the only notation available is Handel's manuscript, which wasn't as easy to read as printed notation would be:

(notation found here)

I found differences in the end of the fourth measure, the fifth measure, the end of the tenth measure, the end of the thirteen measure, and the fourteenth measure.  The differences between the respective thirteenth and fourteenth measures is one of rhythm, not of pitch, so I think that change might be because of certain qualities of the instrument in question.  Longer notes seem more appropriate for recorder; shorter notes for violin.

It wasn't until after discovering all of this and doing my research that I looked in the extensive liner notes (which I haven't read yet) and found that this borrowing is noted.  As usual, I had my order backwards though; the recorder sonata (the second thing I found that phrase in) pre-dates the violin sonata (where I first found it).