Thursday, January 7, 2016

Spike Jones' "You'll Always Hurt the One You Love"

I'm listening to the first of a three-disc set of Spike Jones (I have a bunch in this series, so I'm listening to all of the first discs, and then I'll listen to the second discs and then the third discs).  I noticed something in "You'll Always Hurt the One You Love" (the CD case has it printed as "You'll Always Hurt the One You Love," but the Mills Brothers' version of the same song [and the lyrics in Jones' version itself] is "You Always Hurt the One You Love," so I think that "you'll" might be a typo).

One of the couplets is "You always break the kindest heart / With a hasty word you can't recall."  In the middle of the song, where there's a different singer who adds a lot of embellishments to the lyrics, "recall" is pronounced with the emphasis on the first syllable.  It got me thinking about that word, and I realized that two different meanings of "recall" work in that lyric.  I'd always understood it in the sense of "taking back," but because of that different emphasis, I realized that it could also be the sense of "remembering."  So either "You always break the kindest heart / With a hasty word you can't take back" or "You always break the kindest heart / With a hasty word that you can't remember."