Tuesday, January 5, 2016

The Searchers' "When You Walk in the Room"

I'm in the midst of the first disc of a two-disc set of the Searchers.  I've been transcribing a few of the songs (mostly just the ones I know how to play), and I noticed something in the bridge of "When You Walk in the Room."

The first two lines are:
Baby, it's a dream come true
Walkin' 'round 'longside of you
The missing letters in that second line struck me as interesting.  Instead of "Walking around alongside of you," it's "Walkin' 'round 'longside of you."  Of course, taking out those syllables might be purely for the sake of the syllable count.  "Walking around alongside of you" has two more syllables than "Walkin' 'round 'longside of you."  But I think those missing letters also betray that the "walkin' 'round" is a fantasy.

The line before says that "Walkin' 'round 'longside of you" would be "a dream come true," and in the next two lines, the singer/speaker admits that he can't even tell the girl "how much I care" and that he has only "the nerve to stare."  Clearly, the "walkin' 'round" is something that he's only imagining, and those missing letters seem to speak to that fact.  Like a dream compared to reality, there are some missing or changed elements.