Saturday, January 2, 2016

Herman's Hermits' "Saturday's Child"

Along with working my way through my existing collection, I'm still listening to a CD a day of the CDs I got for Christmas.  To-day, it's the second disc of a two-disc set of all of Herman's Hermits' U.K. albums, so it has There's a Kind of Hush All over the World and Mrs. Brown, You've Got a Lovely Daughter.

There's a Kind of Hush All over the World has "Saturday's Child" on it, which I was sort of surprised to discover is the same song as the "Saturday's Child" on the first Monkees album.  I think I might like Herman's Hermits' version better, but the only specific thing I can point to that I think is better than the Monkees' version is the melisma'd "wild" in "She drives me wild."  Instead of only one syllable, there are five.  It provides a greater sense of the wildness, where in the Monkees' version, that "wild" doesn't have a melisma at all.